OUPS PayPlan frequently asked questions
Please scan the questions below if you have any queries regarding OUPS PayPlan as it's quite likely that others will have asked similar questions before.
We're trying to make the plan as simple as possible so that we can keep our administrative costs as low as possible, and we would be grateful if you would help us by keeping to the standard process or contacting us if you have any queries not answered on this page or on How OUPS PayPlan works.
- What is OUPS PayPlan ?
- When are payments sent from my bank account ?
- How do I pay for an event using OUPS PayPlan ?
- What happens if I miss the First Payment Date ?
- Where are the forms ?
- How do I set up a standing order by post ?
- How do I set up a standing order using online banking ?
- What happens if I forget to use my unique reference number ?
- Why can't I use my unique reference number to book other events ?
- Why can't I use someone else's unique reference number ?
- When will my booking be confirmed ?
- What happens if an event is fully booked before my initial payment is taken ?
- What happens if I need to cancel ?
- What happens if OUPS cancels an event ?
- Can I pay the total in more smaller payments ? Or fewer big ones ?
- Who regulates OUPS Payplan ?
What is OUPS PayPlan ?
OUPS PayPlan is a way to help our attendees spread the cost of an event over six months rather than having to pay all at once.
The total amount is split into either five or six payments, depending on how far in advance of the event you join the plan.
We offer all available residential options for events booked using this scheme, along with the usual membership discount if you are a member when you download your form.
You must meet two conditions to use OUPS PayPlan:
- You must be registered on the OUPS website so that we can link your booking with your payments, otherwise we don't know who is sending us money !
- You must have a bank account that can issue Standing Orders.
When are payments sent from my bank account ?
- The initial payment is taken on the first working day of the month, either six months before the month of the event or five months, depending on when you set up the standing order.
- The final payment is taken on the first working day on or after the 1st of the month before the event.
- The overall cost is the same - if you make five payments the amounts will be larger.
January Weekend: Six payments from July 1st to December 1st or five payments from August 1st to December 1st
May Weekend: Six payments from November 1st to April 1st or five payments from December 1st to April 1st
September Weekend: Six payments from March 1st to August 1st or five payments from April 1st to December 1st
You do not need to make a booking on the website.
Just log in, go to the event page, click the link to download the relevant form and use it to set up the standing order with your bank as described below.
If you miss both of the first payment dates for an OUPS PayPlan scheme you will not be able to pay for that event in this way.
We cannot accept late applications under any circumstances as we do not have the administrative capacity at this time.
If OUPS PayPlan is available for an event you will see a section called "OUPS PayPlan" on the event page with a link that you can click to download the application form. If you do not see this link then OUPS PayPlan is not available for that event. This may be because the cutoff date for the payment plan has already passed.
When you have downloaded an application form you need to fill in the following details:
- The name of your bank account;
- The sort code and account number of your bank account;
- The signature(s) needed to authorise payments from your account (e.g. if it's a joint account that needs two signatories make sure that both people sign)
You should then send it to your bank, ensuring that you allow as much time as they require to set up the Standing Order so that payment is made from your account on the First Payment Date.
This depends on the specific process for your bank but you should be able to find details of how to do this on their website or app.
You will need to provide the following details, which must be taken from the downloaded form:
- The name of the OUPS bank account;
- The sort code and account number of the OUPS bank account;
- The unique reference number on the form which identifies who you are so that we can tell who is sending us money.
- The initial payment amount and the First Payment date.
- The frequency, number and amounts of the subsequent payments.
The dates and amounts must exactly match the details on your form or your booking will not be valid.
It is critical that you use the unique reference number that appears on the form we send you, otherwise we will not be able to identify who you are when we receive your payments, and will not be able to make a booking for you or to contact you in order to resolve the situation.
This is a problem !
If you don't give our reference to your bank they will allocate a random reference to your standing order. They will then send us payments, but we will not be able to tell who is sending us the money and in the worst case we will not only be unable to make a booking for you, but we will not be able to contact you to tell you that we have a problem or to return your payments.
If you realise that you have forgotten to specify your unique reference please contact your bank for further advice. If they are unable to correct the problem before the First Payment Date we are unfortunately not able to help as you will have missed the cutoff date for the plan you wanted to join and will not be able to use OUPS PayPlan to pay for that event.
This is not possible because every event has its own payment scheme and its own references that are unique to both that event and to each individual. They cannot be used for any other purposes, for example to put a deposit on or to pay towards any other events.
If you use the details on an OUPS PayPlan form to set up standing orders or bank transfers that result in money being paid to our account using any references that we have not issued to you, our system will not be able to identify who is sending us these payments or for what purpose. If you re-use the details on your form our system will automatically book you onto the same event again, potentially with an invalid payment amount that will cause your booking to be cancelled later.
We will refund any amounts paid in error in this way but will charge a £25 administrative fee for each refund requested.
We're really sorry but we don't have the manpower to sort out any "creative" uses of the payment scheme, but we are happy to hear ideas for what you would like to be able to do so that we can see if we can continue to improve the system.
You probably don't want to do this. While it will "work", we will make a confirmed booking for that person, in their name, while the payments will come from your bank account ! If you need to retrieve your unique reference number in order to use OUPS PayPlan for an event, please just download your form again.
Your first payment confirms that you accept our OUPS Terms & Conditions and your place on the event concerned is fully booked when we receive it.
Shortly after the first payment has been receiced we will process all standing orders paid and will send a booking confirmation to the email address linked to each one.
We cannot confirm your place before we have received your initial payment (e.g. at the time you set up the Standing Order) as we do not receive any confirmation from your bank that the standing order is in place other than the payments that they make, and so have no guarantee that payment will be successful until we receive it.
You don't need to worry - we do not allow this to happen. If your standing order has been set up correctly in advance of the First Payment Date then you can rest assured that your place on that event will be confirmed when your initial payment is received.
When we have no capacity restrictions on events we try to open bookings as early as possible to give attendees plenty of time to plan their booking. This may mean that it is possible to book a confirmed place on an event by paying online before the First Payment Date of the associated OUPS PayPlan.
However if we are restricted by the size of a venue then we will not open the event for online booking until the First Payment Date, to ensure that all attendees have equal opportunities to book irrespective of the payment method they choose to use.
Events booked using OUPS PayPlan are subject to the same terms and conditions as those paid for in any other way that we offer (see here for details), with any refunds due to cancellation credited to your bank account.
- your OUPS website username
- the unique reference number on your Standing Order and
- the account name, account number and sort code of the bank account you used to pay for the OUPS PayPlan.
We will refund your payments subject to the standard OUPS Terms & Conditions and will endeavour to complete all such refunds in no more than ten working days.
Paying for a weekend event costing £290 from 3rd-5th September:
1. Before 1st March:
2. Between 1st March and 31st March:
Each OUPS PayPlan runs for up to six months so that we can help spread the cost across a worthwhile period.
However the disadvantage of such an extended period before the event is that we may have to change our plans due to circumstances beyond our control, for example if there are not enough people interested to make the event financially viable, or if a venue becomes unavailable to us for some unforseen reason.
If we need to cancel the event you are saving for we will refund all of your payments at no cost to you in acordance with the standard OUPS Terms & Conditions.
While our website can generate the forms to allow us to stagger payments, we have to download and check the payment details from the bank manually. This needs to be done twice for each payment plan if they all begin and end together, but if we allowed plans to start at any time, in the worst case this would have to be done every day.
Unfortunately as we only have one person to oversee the OUPS finances, at the moment it's not feasible for us to offer more flexibility for our payment plans, so you can only either pay in five or six instalments.
The OUPS Trustees have obtained confirmation (June 6th 2017) from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) that the OUPS PayPlan scheme is exempt from FCA authorisation because:
- All our payment plans run for less than 12 months with fewer than 12 instalments;
- We do not operate with the primary business purpose of selling financial services;
- We only offer agreements for fixed amounts;
- We do not charge interest or admin fees for using OUPS PayPlan other than to cover cancellation costs.
See Instalment credit agreements: consumer credit firms for further details.